Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Let's talk briefly about moving, which is what I am in the process of doing. For the last five days. With a few pool days/ sitting on the couch catching up on the BBC Sherlock (I'm cool like that) and discovering spotify. And sleeping. Quite a bit of sleeping.

Anyway, everyone always approaches moving with this notion that somehow all of the many miscellaneous pieces of life will fit in categorized bins organized based on their function.

This works for exactly two things: kitchen items and clothing. The rest of it---photos, thank you notes, usb cable connectors, wallflowers, candles, notebooks, jewelry boxes, calligraphy kits --where the freaking heck is it supposed to go? In an effort to be organized, I made several lists and found a Sharpie to label what goes where and is in what, but finally I just said forget it, I have no idea what bin this Barbie I got for my birthday last year as a joke but really would like to keep belongs in, and threw it all together, slapped the lid on and labeled it MISC.

I know that is going to be my favorite one to unpack.

Short recap of the last 3 months: I quit my job and I am moving to Va to be with my sweetie :) Which is really REALLY exciting, especially since I depart on FRIDAY. The ONE thing that is posing a little bit of a challenge is the fact that everything has to fit in the back of my father's pickup and my itty bitty gold Saturn, (BACK FROM THE DEAD!!), meaning no bed or furniture or anything resembling furniture.

I'm envisioning a lot of pizza on the floor with candles (i'll take a picture and send it to Pinterest as a DATE NIGHT IDEA OMGGGG) or whatever you do when you have no furniture. Or TV. Or cable.

Probably mostly be uncomfortable, actually, I think.

Which is why I am already searching on Craigslist (Yes, I realize I blog a lot about my secondhand furniture searches but it really does take up a large portion of my life) for items. THING is, the nearest "metropolitan area" according to Craig, who is also apparently a higher-up at the Census Bureau, is about 45 mins away. So that could be tricky. Wish me luck. And pet-free sellers.

In other news, I am reading the history of the world. In a variety of forms by a variety of different historians.

One thing I've noticed is that we all sort of accept historians on their word, which, since their works are often based on lifetimes of research and study, is a fair thing to do. BUT they all have their own agendas. They pick their favorite historical figure or era, and they want to make it your favorite too. One man's Arnold Schwarzenegger is another man's King Richard.

 I really love history. I hated people in school who would roll their eyes and sigh whenever the subject of history came up or was brushed on at all. Like history is boring. You know what is tedious? Vera Bradley handbags. You know what isn't? Lewis and Clarke.

The reason I'm being all pretentious is because my kindle broke (again  :( ) and I am stuck 86 percent  of the way through Game of Thrones book 4. I'm ruined for fiction right now. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS TO THE REST OF EDDARD's family.

ANYWAY, that's what has been going on here. Tomorrow, I tackle my trunk, which hasn't been cleaned out for probably 18 months. I'll let you know how it goes. :)



MWAH,




Moi.



No comments:

Post a Comment